Conor McGregor claims his comeback against Donald Cerrone did 1.3million PPVs as Notorious haIls incredible year for UFC

4 mins read


CONOR MCGREGOR has claimed his 40-second showdown with Donald Cerrone earlier this year did just over 1.3million pay-per-view buys.

McGregor made a blistering return to the Octagon against the fan favourite in January in the main event of UFC 246, which took place in Las Vegas.

Getty

Conor McGregor demolished Donald Cerrone in 40 seconds to claim his first in over three years[/caption]

Reuters

Conor McGregor celebrates his UFC 246 victory over Donald Cerrone[/caption]

But the Irishman’s comeback fight didn’t last long as he decimated Cerrone in just 40 seconds to pick up his first win in over three years.

As with any McGregor fight, UFC 246 ended up doing big business – with the promotion selling out the T-Mobile Arena.

It was reported the first pay-per-view card of the year did close to two million buys.

That figure, however, appears to be an overestimation as McGregor‘s apparent revealing of his PPV bonus sheet on Monday night showed the card was purchased by 1,353,439 fight fans.


Along with what appeared to be a copy of the bonus slip, McGregor tweeted: “Congrats to the @ufc on a well fought 2020!

“The only sporting company on the planet to come through the entire year! Incredible!

“I am honoured to secure their highest PPV of the year with McGregor Vs Cerrone.

“Congrats Donald, and also on his double submission win last night. #No1.”

The submission McGregor was referring to was Cerrone’s Submission Underground 19 victory over former UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos.

The Notorious further reflected on his demolition of ‘Cowboy’ by tweeting a picture of the future Hall-of-Famer on wobbly legs.

He added: “100% offence. 100% defence. Highest PPV. Highest gate. Fastest Main Event KO of the year. 2020. 40 seconds.

“Roll on 2021! #McGregorSportsAndEntertainment.”

McGregor, 32, is currently preparing for his UFC 257 rematch with Dustin Poirier, which will take place on Fight Island on January 23.

The pride of Dublin knocked out the former interim lightweight champion six years ago at UFC 178, but UFC president Dana White insists their second meeting isn’t a foregone conclusion.

He told BT Sport: “It’s a completely different fight.

“Obviously Conor is a much better fighter than he was when he first faced him, and Poirier is a much better fighter too.

“I don’t know how that plays out now in the fight, but it’s definitely interesting.

“You can’t look at the first fight and go, ‘Oh, this is exactly the way that’s gonna go again.’ Because it won’t.”



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Story

Ladbaby reveals he won’t release anymore Christmas singles – unless it’s a duet with Mariah Carey

Next Story

Brexit just the beginning! Brits told talks with EU to go on for YEARS even if deal done

Latest from Blog