Great Ormond Street porter sexually abused boys as young as six after luring them onto hospital site, court hears

3 mins read


A PORTER at Great Ormond Street Hospital sexually abused young boys after luring them to the site, a court heard today.

Paul Farrell, 55, took two youngsters to an area of the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London which he had access to and then carried out the sex attacks.

The famous children's hospital said the charges were 'truly awful'
Paul Farrell, 55, lured two youngsters to an area of the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London

Farrell has pleaded guilty to a total of 58 child sex offences over a 35-year period.

They include attempted rape and indecent assaults on six boys as young as six and three counts of possessing and making indecent and extreme images.

He denies a further 21 offences, including rape and paying for sexual services of a child.

Farrell has yet to plead to further counts he is charged with.

Bespectacled Farrell wore a red jacket over a blue sweater and a surgical mask when he appeared in the dock.

He pleaded guilty to 33 charges, having previously admitted 25 counts at an earlier hearing.

Farrell held a number of positions, including working as a porter, at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children between 1994 and 2020.

Wood Green Crown Court heard at least two victims claimed they were sexually abused by Farrell at the hospital.

But Judge Noel Lucas said on Friday: “The prosecution have made it clear that this is not a case where it is alleged that Mr Farrell was targeting children at the Great Ormond Street Hospital, rather that children were abused in parts of the hospital in which he had access.”

The Metropolitan Police said Farrell was first arrested on January 16 and appeared at Highbury Magistrates’ Court after being charged.

But according to the charges his offending continued until June this year, with one boy under the age of 13 sexually assaulted “during lockdown”.

A spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital said: “These charges relating to a former member of GOSH staff are awful.


“It is upsetting to hear in court today that some of the charges relate to the hospital site. It is important to stress, as stated by the judge today, that GOSH patients were not targeted.

“We will continue to support the police as they progress the case but we know many people will have concerns and questions.’

Anyone with concerns is urged to call a helpline set up with the NSPCC on 0800 101 996 or email [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Story

MARKET REPORT: Indivior hit by former owner's £1.1bn lawsuit

Next Story

Crystal Palace 0 Newcastle 2: Wilson and Joelinton strike at the death as Toon punish Eagles for wasted chances

Latest from Blog