STUART Lubbock’s terminally ill father has said he can rest in peace knowing that he has done his best for his son.
Stuart, 31, died following a party at entertainer Michael Barrymore’s then-home in Roydon, Essex, on March 31 2001.
Terry Lubbock says he has “done my best now for my son”[/caption]
Stuart Lubbock, 31, died following a party at entertainer Michael Barrymore’s home[/caption]
No-one has been charged with any offence in relation to Stuart Lubbock’s death[/caption]
His father Terry Lubbock, who earlier this year said he had terminal cancer, has never stopped fighting for justice for his son.
Now he says he thinks the truth about the death of his son Stuart will come out.
“I have done my best now for my son,” Mr Lubbock, a 76-year-old retired toolmaker from Harlow said.
“I can rest in peace now. I think the truth will come out.”
He added: “My body is going down, and my mind, and I am starting to forget things.”
In February, Mr Lubbock said doctors had told him that he had months to live.
He said all he lived for was to get “justice for Stuart”, but accepts he may never get the answers he wants.
Last week Michael Barrymore said he hopes justice will finally be done[/caption]
In January he had called for a fresh inquest, and said he thought information must now have emerged which justified a fresh inquiry by a coroner.
A coroner recorded an open verdict after an inquest in 2002 and, three years ago, the then-attorney general, Jeremy Wright, refused to give Mr Lubbock the go-ahead to make an application to the High Court for a second inquest.
But Mr Lubbock says a fresh Essex Police appeal, which coincided with the broadcast of a Channel 4 documentary Barrymore: The Body In The Pool, in February 2020, had changed the landscape.
No-one has been charged with any offence in relation to Stuart Lubbock’s death.
Mr Barrymore, now 69, was arrested in 2007 but never charged with any offence.
His father has never stopped fighting for justice[/caption]
In March, Mr Barrymore spoke to ITV’s Good Morning Britain programme and described the Channel 4 documentary as “vile and vicious”.
Mr Barrymore said nobody who was at his house on the night of Stuart Lubbock’s death knew what happened.
Asked if he had anything fresh to offer the police, he replied: “I honestly wish I did.”
He said he had been “through 20 years of hell”.
Essex Police have said their investigation is continuing.
In March, police arrested a 50-year-old man on suspicion of the murder and indecent assault of Stuart Lubbock. The man, who was not named by police, was subsequently released under investigation.
Police say they have prepared a file for consideration by the Crown Prosecution Service following a “substantial and detailed investigation”.
Earlier this week The Sun revealed Barrymore hopes justice will finally be done over his death 20 years ago.
Strike it Lucky star Barrymore, 69, has not been seen publicly since officers revealed in March that a 50-year-old man had been arrested over the incident.
The entertainer, who was said to have spent his birthday on Tuesday alone in his flat, denies knowledge of what happened to Stuart Lubbock.
Most read in News
JUST THE JAB
UK will be 'Covid free by August' as vaccines boss calls for boosters in 2022
Brits WILL get Covid passports after both jabs from May 17 for foreign travel
Gang guilty of battering 'gentle giant' dad, 24, to death outside Wetherspoons
Green list countries where Brits can go on holiday from May 17 FINALLY revealed
WORLD WAR FLU
China 'probed WEAPONISING coronaviruses 5 years before Covid outbreak'
Violent rapist dragged victim into woods and told her she 'deserved to die'
He told his former agent Mike Browne: “I just hope this is the end of it and that justice will finally be done for Stuart and his family.
“The police seem convinced with the evidence they have found but I’ve no idea what it is.
“They seem sure but I can’t see how it can end in charges after so long.”