IT’S not long to wait now until rugby fans find out who will be representing the British and Irish Lions in South Africa this year.
Warren Gatland’s team famously played out a series draw in New Zealand four years ago and will look to go one better against the Springboks.
The British and Irish Lions played out a series draw in New Zealand in 2017[/caption]
Last time the Lions faced South Africa back in 2009 they suffered a 2-1 series defeat, but they were victorious in the previous series there, winning 2-1 in 1997.
There had been speculation that the tour could be moved to the UK or Australia over Covid concerns but it is currently scheduled to go ahead as originally planned.
When is the Lions squad announcement?
- The Lions squad will be announced on Thursday, May 6.
- The captain will be announced at 12.15pm followed by the rest of the travelling party at 12.30pm.
What TV channel is the Lions squad announcement on and can I live stream it?
- The Lions squad announcement is live on Sky Sports Mix.
- Coverage commences at 11.45am – half an hour before the captain is announced.
- To stream it live, head to your Sky Go account.
- Non-Sky Sports subscribers can watch the full press conference with a Now TV Day Pass from £9.99.
Can I watch the Lions squad announcement for free?
- Yes. Sky Sports Mix is free for all Sky TV and Virgin TV subscribers regardless of whether they have an existing subscription.
Most read in Rugby Union
Swing low, swede chariot
Gatland reveals how a 4am call set him on path to be Lions coach
SAM THE MAN
Simmonds on verge of dream call-up as Gatland sticks two fingers up to Jones
LION OF DUTY
British and Irish Lions 2021 tour fixtures & times as Springboks lie in wait
Sing for gold
Flower of Scotland lyrics: What are the words to Scotland's national anthem?
OFF YOU GO!
What are the red card rules in rugby and what is a sin bin?
What is the difference between the TMO and VAR?
Who will be the Lions captain?
Former Wales head coach Warren Gatland is highly likely to pick current Welsh captain Alun Wyn Jones to head up his side.
Maro Itoje could be an outside bet for the captaincy, but both England and his club Saracens are captained by team-mate Owen Farrell.
However, Itoje did captain England U20s to World Cup glory and Saracens to the LV Cup.
Stuart Hogg currently captains Scotland but Gatland has never picked a back to captain one of his Lions squads.
England captain Owen Farrell was believed to be in the running six months ago, but a Six Nations marred by indiscipline and in which Farrell was criticised for his approach to speaking to referees is likely to count against him.
British and Irish Lions fixtures
Find all the British and Irish Lions fixtures here