BAKE Off’s Rosie Brandreth-Poynter’s saw her chances of winning the baking contest squashed when she was eliminated in Patisserie Week.
The Cambridge alum just missed out on a prized spot in the grand finale way back in 2019. Here’s more about the Bake Off 2019 contestant.
Who is Bake Off 2019 contestant Rosie?
Rosie first showed interest in baking when she was gifted a children’s baking book at the tender age of five.
The veterinary surgeon grew up in a small town in Oxfordshire and studied at Cambridge but lives in Somerset with her childhood-sweetheart husband.
At the time, she said bakes to unwind and treats the practice nurses with some of her creations.
Her go-to bake is patisserie and her baking is inspired by her rural surroundings, from the orchards next door, to the fresh eggs laid by her ducks and chickens.
She loves posting pics of her pet pooches – as well as her bakes – on Instagram here.
What happened to Rosie on Bake Off?
- Week One, Cakes – Rosie made her signature fruit cake and then came second in the Technical Challenge with her layered Angel Cake. Her magical jungle showstopper impressed Paul on the inside, but sadly not on the outside.
- Week Two, Biscuits – She took inspiration from her favourite cocktail to make Virgin Mojito biscuit bars which left the judges drunk in love.
- Week Three, Bread – Prue described her Chilli and Manchego tear and share loaf as “pure heaven” while they couldn’t get enough of her safari themed scored bread.
- Week Four, Dairy – It was another strong week for Rosie as she impressed with her homemade buttermilk Limoncello Cake which Prue claimed was a “perfect use of cultured milk” and her creative cocktails and canape inspired mishti Showstopper which Paul praised as “beautiful”.
- Week Five, The Roaring Twenties – Rosie had a day of nightmares when she dropped one of her Blackberry custard pies on the floor before her jelly decorations melted. She finished fifth in the Technical and then produced a White Russian cake in the Showstopper that Prue said looked “really interesting”. Paul loved the flavour but criticised the thickness of the ganache.
- Week Six, Dessert Week – To kick things off Rosie created a Layers of Lime and Raspberry dessert which almost made the cut but Paul said the chocolate didn’t go with it. Her Ruby Bombe Showstopper was called “clumsy”.
- Week Seven, Festival Week – After finding herself hovering in the middle ground for most of the weeks so far, Rosie was pretty thrilled to be announced as the winner of the Technical challenge. She managed to make 12 Sicilian Casatelle that both Paul and Prue thought were uniform in both looks and taste.
- Week Eight, Pastry – Rosie’s Tarte Tatin filled with roasted vegetables, goats cheese, shallots & black garlic pleased the judges but it was Rapunzel’s tower and a dragon pie sculpture that bagged her a place in the semi-final.
- Week Nine, Patisserie – Rosie’s lemon, raspberry and mint domed tarts with Yuzu jelly and pâte sablée pastry got top marks from the judges and despite a disastrous Technical, when she had to make everything twice, she came first. However, her sugar glass case filled with mini choux buns, brioche and tartlets was deemed simplistic and she was eliminated from the competition, missing out on the grand final.
What did Rosie say about The Great British Bake Off 2019?
Rosie said her colleagues were stunned to learn she is appearing in the tenth series of The Great British Bake Off.
“The nurses at work are going to be so surprised, they will have no idea,” she said at the time.
“They asked me the other day would I apply again and I could honestly and categorically answer, no I don’t think I will!”
more bake off news
All about Ruby from The Great British Bake Off 2018
Summer looks like an Easter Bunny at Xmas but at least her pooch has snow shoes
'A BLESSING AND TREASURE'
Who was Bake Off star Luis Troyano and how did he die?
Bake Off's Laura Adlington reveals she's got coronavirus days before Christmas
'FELT LIKE A CRIMINAL'
Bake Off contestant blamed for 'all these bombings' in sick bus rant
PAUL FLOGS HIS CHOPPER
Bake Off's Paul Hollywood flogs two motorbikes on eBay for over £40k
Who is Bake Off 2020 winner Peter?
Every Bake Off winner ever – from Nadiya Hussain to Candice to Rahul
TAKES THE CAKE
All about Liam Charles who hosts Channel 4's Bake Off: The Professionals
Who is Bake Off contestant Val Stones?